University of Minnesota Duluth
Kathryn A. Martin Library

Log In| View Cart (0)
Email: libarchives@d.umn.edu
Phone: Aimee Brown - 218.726.8526
Browse: Titles Subjects Names Digital Content

Kelley-How-Thomson Company (1902-1958) | Archives and Special Collections, Kathryn A. Martin Library, University of Minnesota Duluth

Name: Kelley-How-Thomson Company (1902-1958)
Variant Name: Kelley How Thomson Company, Kelley Duluth Hardware Company


Historical Note: In 1873 R. A. Costello opened a tin shop on North First Avenue East. The tin shop burned and the business moved to Superior Street. Costello sold the business to his brother, J. J. Costello, but reentered the firm in 1887 and operated it as the J. J. and R. A. Costello hardware store for the next seven years. The Costellos bowed out in 1895 when controlling interest went to Mike H. Kelley and J. F. Killorin, Duluth lumbermen. They changed the name to Kelley Hardware Co. In 1902 D.W. How joined the company and the store name changed to Kelley-How. It was this organization that set up the Kelly-How-Thomson wholesale hardware company, operating the store as a retail branch. The retail store remained a unit of the wholesale house until 1928, when it was acquired by E. A. Bergeron and renamed Kelley-Duluth Hardware Company. Marshall-Wells bought out Kelley-How-Thomson in 1955 with Kelley-How-Thomson continuing under its own name as a subsidiary of Marshalls-Wells. In January 1958 Kelley-How-Thomson consolidated with Marshall-Wells, becoming Marshall-Wells-Kelley-How-Thomson. In December 1958 Coast-to-Coast Stores of Minneapolis bought Marshall-Wells-Kelley-How-Thomson Duluth Division.
Note Author: Staff





Page Generated in: 0.071 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 11.09MB of memory. (Peak of 11.21MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign