University of Minnesota Duluth
Kathryn A. Martin Library

Log In| View Cart (0)
Phone: Aimee Brown - 218.726.8526
Browse: Titles Subjects Names Digital Content

Kelley-How-Thomson Company (1902-1958) | Archives and Special Collections, Kathryn A. Martin Library, University of Minnesota Duluth

Name: Kelley-How-Thomson Company (1902-1958)
Variant Name: Kelley How Thomson Company, Kelley Duluth Hardware Company

Historical Note: In 1873 R. A. Costello opened a tin shop on North First Avenue East. The tin shop burned and the business moved to Superior Street. Costello sold the business to his brother, J. J. Costello, but reentered the firm in 1887 and operated it as the J. J. and R. A. Costello hardware store for the next seven years. The Costellos bowed out in 1895 when controlling interest went to Mike H. Kelley and J. F. Killorin, Duluth lumbermen. They changed the name to Kelley Hardware Co. In 1902 D.W. How joined the company and the store name changed to Kelley-How. It was this organization that set up the Kelly-How-Thomson wholesale hardware company, operating the store as a retail branch. The retail store remained a unit of the wholesale house until 1928, when it was acquired by E. A. Bergeron and renamed Kelley-Duluth Hardware Company. Marshall-Wells bought out Kelley-How-Thomson in 1955 with Kelley-How-Thomson continuing under its own name as a subsidiary of Marshalls-Wells. In January 1958 Kelley-How-Thomson consolidated with Marshall-Wells, becoming Marshall-Wells-Kelley-How-Thomson. In December 1958 Coast-to-Coast Stores of Minneapolis bought Marshall-Wells-Kelley-How-Thomson Duluth Division.
Note Author: Staff

Page Generated in: 0.05 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 6.15MB of memory. (Peak of 6.29MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign